MANILA, Aug 9: At least 3,82,000 people, or about 110,000 families, have been affected across eight regions of the Philippines by heavy rains linked to the enhanced southwest monsoon and tropical cyclones Luis and Maymay, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Sunday.
In its latest situation report, the council said six people had died, and seven others were injured, although the figures remained subject to validation.
The affected areas include Ilocos, Cagayan, Central Luzon, Bicol, Zamboanga Peninsula, the Cordillera Administrative Region, Mimaropa and Calabarzon.
Two people died in a landslide in La Trinidad, Benguet, while two others were killed in a rockslide in Rodriguez, Rizal. The remaining two fatalities were reported in Luna, La Union, in separate incidents involving drowning and electrocution, according to the NDRRMC.
The seven injured were reported in Benguet, including five in Baguio City, one in La Trinidad following a landslide, and another in Kapangan in a vehicular accident.
Authorities have activated 86 evacuation centres, which are sheltering around 2,200 families, or 7,300 people. A further 1,132 families, comprising about 3,700 people, are staying outside evacuation centres.
The weather disturbances have damaged 148 houses, including 138 partially and 10 completely, the council said.
Infrastructure damage has been estimated at 105.5 million Philippine pesos, while agricultural losses have reached about 3.53 million pesos.
Government agencies, local authorities and other partner organisations have so far provided assistance worth 13.21 million pesos to affected families, according to the NDRRMC.
The Philippine Ports Authority (PPA) listed canceled trips involving ports in the Mimaropa and Bicol Regions, on Panay Island, and the provinces of Bohol, Guimaras, Oriental Mindoro, Occidental Mindoro, and other areas.
According to the PPA, it does not by itself cancel vessel trips, but trips are automatically canceled when the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) issues a "no sail" policy, which prohibits vessels from leaving port because of unsafe sea conditions.
Shipping companies may also cancel trips in compliance with the terms of their Certificate of Public Convenience (CPC) issued by the Maritime Industry Authority (Marina).
(UNI)